The 2006 Census Test took place on Sunday 23rd April. Its aim was to evaluate potential new questions and assess different ways to make the questionnaire easier to complete. It also helped us to improve arrangements to process information on the questionnaires.
The evaluation is in six parts:
- Census Test Evaluation Report - summarises the background to the test, the main findings and recommendations (PDF)
- Fieldwork Evaluation - focuses on publicity, community liaison, questionnaire design, logistics, fieldstaff recruitment and pay (PDF)
- Evaluation of Data Capture Contract - details the procurement arrangements for scanning each questionnaire and reading the hand writing/text electronically (PDF)
- Statistical Evaluation - summarises the analysis of the test results (PDF)
Annex A - Data Collection Methodology (PDF)
Annex B - Follow Up Survey (Note: amended figures in section 8, paragraph 8.7.1, as at 23rd July 2007) (PDF)
Annex C - Frequency Counts for 2006 Test Questions (PDF)
Annex D - Cross Tabs of Respondents' Views with Responses to Questions (PDF)
- Evaluation of Governance Procedures - outlines our internal organisation arrangements (PDF)
- Statistical Evaluation of the 2006 Census Test in Scotland: Methodology Review - this is presented as a technical report on our approach to the household income question and questionnaire post out arrangements (PDF)
Maximum file size is 780 Kb.
The test was held in parts of Glasgow City, West Dunbartonshire, Highland, Stirling, Perth & Kinross and Argyll & Bute Council areas. About 52,000 households were asked to complete a Census Test form.
Attached are maps of the test areas:
Test area map - Lochaber and Breadalbane (269 KB pdf file)
Test area map - Glasgow (269KB pdf file)
Test area map - West Dunbartonshire (355KB pdf file)
A number of new or revised questions were included in this test to meet the changing needs of census data users. Please use the link above to view the census test questionnaire.