Mnemonic reference (code): INDPUK
Definition: This question asks for a description of the business, or main activity of each person’s employer. The variable uses a Census modified version of the UK Standard Industrial Classification of Economic Activities 1992 – UK SIC (92) classification. For the 2001 Census, industry descriptions given to the question above are automatically coded using the modified SIC(92) classification. Where possible, output is at the detailed 4-digit level. However, in many cases, insufficient information is given by the public when completing this question. For example, insufficient responses provided by the form-filler relating to the construction industry has meant releasing output at the 2-digit level only. This has resulted in a need to produce a modified output classification that is a mixture of 2, 3 and 4-digit industry codes. In standard output, the most detailed classification is at section level, A to Q.
- All people aged 16 to 74 years working in the week before Census and all people aged 16 to 64 years who were not working in the week before Census but who last worked in 1996 or later, England, Wales and Scotland
- All people aged 16 to 74 years who have ever worked, Northern Ireland
The classification is based on the Standard Industrial Classification 1992: UK Standard Industrial Classification 1992 (UK SIC 1992)
These classifications are then used to assign individuals industry groups via the Industry hierarchy (Excel 26 Kb download). n.o.s stands for ‘not otherwise stated’.
Total number of categories: 191
Not applicable (XXX) comprises:
- All people aged 15 and under or aged 75 and over, UK
- All people aged 16-64, who were not working in the week before census and who last worked before 1996 or who have never worked, England, Wales and Scotland
- All people aged 65-74 who were not working in the week before census, England, Wales and Scotland
- All people aged 16-74 who have never worked, Northern Ireland
CAS036, CAS037, CAS038, CAS039
S36, S37, S38, S39, S211, S241
Census Areas Statistics (CAS), Census Areas Statistics Theme (CAST), Key Statistics (KS) and Univariate (UV) tables are available for all census areas.
Standard (S) and Theme (T) tables are available at ST Ward/ST Postcode Sector and above.